Create a smart success measure to guide future changes.
A Goal is a discrete action we want our visitors to take after they view a personalization or A/B test. This measures the effectiveness of your Rule.
Think of a Goal as a conversion like a visitor clicking the “Add to Cart” button. Following our example, we want to know if the personalized banner results in the customer clicking through for more information on a future sale.
Sign in to the Profile Manager interface, and then click the Goals tab.
Click the Add new goal link.
Enter values for the following fields to provide details about the goal you wish to create:
- Goal Name - Enter a name for the goal, such as “Clicked Banner”
- Description - Enter a brief explanation of the goal, such as “Clicked Banner as Boston Returning Visitor”
- Value - A goal should associate a number for key comparisons. In this example, we care about engagement and will follow clicks
In the Customer Sites list, select one or more customer sites to add the goal. By default, the Apply Goal to all customer sites check box is selected. Clear this check box to apply the goal to only this customer site selected.
In order to ensure the discrete action a user takes is tracked as a Goal, we must add an event to the goal. Ensuring your developer has created an event, complete the following steps:
- In the Events section, in the Select customer site list, click the site that you want to use.
- In the Select an event list, click an available event from the list. This list contains one or more events that can be associated with a goal.
- Click Add.
Click Save to save your new goal.
Congratulations, you have created a Goal and applied it to a Rule to measure your success and future changes.
Now let’s add the goal to a report.
- Log into Experience Builder on your website
- Click Rules.
- Click on the 3 dots next to any displayed Rule.
- Then select Configure
- Click on the Goals section.
- Click Add Goal to Rule.
- Under the drop down, you should now see the “Clicked Banner” goal you created in Profile Manager.
- Select the goal.
- Click Save.